About     Get Involved

Monday, May 13, 2013

Preparing for ACE

Photo by Barbara Hermans on Flickr
My name is Emma, and I'm privileged to have the opportunity to work with African Community Exchange as an intern this summer. As a student at American University in Washington, D.C., I chose to study abroad in Durban, South Africa just about a year ago. Once that trip was over, I began looking for another opportunity to stay connected to a beautiful continent that I had just begun to scratch the surface of.

After some internet searching, I found ACE. After contacting Nina, the program director, and hearing her own story, I knew this organization was something special. ACE was uniquely created by Tanzanians for Tanzanians without the underlying Western influence that can sometimes be seen in volunteer organizations. I loved the idea.

In planning my own trip to Tanzania to participate in the ACE program, Nina has been such a big support. She has guided me through almost every aspect of my preparation: vaccination, medication, visa application, packing, volunteer placement, and what to expect upon arrival.

Early on, she gave me a run-down of the vaccinations I should get and the anti-malarial medication that I should bring. Applying for a Tanzanian visa was fairly easy. I simply filled out an application, supplied two passport-sized photos, my flight itinerary, and Nina's welcome letter that detailed my reason for travel. Since I'm lucky enough to live in D.C., I just had to take my materials down to the Tanzanian Embassy. The staff was so helpful, making me even more excited for the people that I will get to meet!

As for my volunteer placement, Nina simply asked me to provide a list of thing that I'd like to be involved in from what was discussed on the site. Because I love children, I would be so excited to help at the school, but I know the placement is also based on need. (And I totally appreciate that too!)

Because of this thorough preparation, I know I'll feel very confident about boarding that plane in just ten days! I'll be detailing stories from my travel and volunteer opportunities here, so be sure to check back!

For more information about volunteering with ACE, visit our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment