About     Get Involved

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Cultural Immersion

Photo by Janet Nakano




Jill Smith took the time to reflect on her decision to volunteer with ACE. Here's what she had to say:

I have always been fascinated with other parts of the world and with cultures different from my own, but my experience studying for a semester in South Africa had sparked a strong interest and desire in me to acquire a more in depth knowledge about the country and the very many different cultures that populate it. I find it extremely important in life to be able to understand and connect with people from different backgrounds. During my stay in Africa, I was able to travel throughout the continent and meet so many wonderfully diverse citizens of the many countries I visited. I also made friends that will last a lifetime. And even though I was in country for well over four months, it was nowhere near long enough. I left knowing that I would return.

When I heard about the African Community Exchange program I knew immediately that it was something I would enjoy being a part of. It is a program that is important to me because it provides the opportunity to fully immerse myself in the Tanzanian culture and community. What better way is there to learn about another culture than to become part of their community? ACE’s hands on approach is a great way to form a deeper understanding of Tanzania’s culture and customs by living and working side by side with the locals of Tanzania!

This is the reason why I chose to become a volunteer with the African Community Exchange. I am excited to begin my journey with ACE because I see amazing potential for sharing cultures, ideas and values, all of which play a significant role in understanding where we all come from, and can contribute to positive change among individuals and communities. I cannot wait to begin my journey and if I could board the plane today I would!

No comments:

Post a Comment