About     Get Involved

Friday, June 28, 2013

Forging ahead with visions for the future

Program Manager, Nina Czitrom, writes about her most recent experiences in Tanzania:

And the adventures continue! Last weekend, we went to visit one of the Maasai tribes. For those of you unfamiliar with the Maasai, they are one of the last tribes in Tanzania (out of over 120 tribes in this country) who still practice the traditional tribal lifestyle. They were a nomadic people for centuries, driven by the belief that all cattle belonged to them. In the last half century, many Maasai have settled in Tanzania, but cow herding is still their main driving force. Deo, Peter, and Richard have befriended a particular group of Maasai and I have had the honor of visiting them a number of times, dancing and singing with them, watching the men do their famous high jumps, and learning about their culture. This time, a new experience was added. In honor of our visit, they slaughtered a goat for us. I didn't have the courage to actually watch, so I sat off to the side, but I heard it all. It is a part of so many non-American cultures, and all of my Tanzanian friends told me that their families slaughter goats for special holidays, like Christmas. It was a moment that truly made me reflect on how far removed I really am from the meat I eat at home.

Later that day, we rode out to a warm natural spring that we like to go to for swimming. It's quite a rough road getting out to it, but always well worth it. It was a lovely day, so about a dozen locals were there swimming, and we joined in. I only hung my legs in this time (which was delightful - it's warm and you can see all the way to the bottom). Emma and Jillian went for a swim. And Gasper, like a little kid, joined the children who were swinging from a rope and plunging in. What was most spectacular about it this time for me though was that there were wild blue monkeys hanging out and jumping across the treetops above us. You know, I spend so much time with my students in America trying to dispel the myths and break the stereotypes about Africa. One of the things that many American children (and adults) think is that Africa is filled with wild animals just roaming around everywhere. Instead, I like to talk about the cities and innovations here. But alas, this time I've seen wild elephants and monkeys! I'll still bring back stories that break the stereotypes rather than perpetuate them. But those monkeys were pretty awesome.

We also had a visitor staying with us at the home base last weekend and in the early part of the week. He was a young man who lives and works in Dubai. Peter met him on a trip to Dubai when he wandered into this man's fabric shop. The gentleman inquired into the African Community Exchange after noticing Peter's t-shirt and they struck up a conversation and a friendship. He's been interested in providing charitable resources to children in Tanzania, having been here a number of times before for business. He's a delightful and kind young man, with a good heart. It looks like he will be sponsoring an idea of Peter's! The idea is to rent a bread-making machine so that the African Community Exchange can provide bread to the school children in Himo each day that attend the various town's schools. Peter noticed that many of the children don't have any food until dinner time and his vision is to change that. Our new friend from Dubai is eager to help and they've already made plans to get it going. You can imagine how excited Peter is.


Mama Eva also shared her plans for the future with me this week. She has a sponsor, a local man named Harold, who has been helping her make up the difference when families are unable to pay the school fees or buy their children a uniform. Harold and Mama Eva's vision is to expand the Kibo Hill Nursery School and also create a Primary School. Harold told me that he has started the bargaining process on a piece of land, and hopes to be able to secure it so that they can move ahead. They will likely require additional funds, but the business plan is all ready, and they are dreaming big.

I've spent time this week visiting some of our new volunteer placements, which include hospitals, Secondary Schools, and a women's empowerment center. I'm glad to have a better idea of the functions and needs of these places so that I can help future volunteers prepare for placements here.

Today was my last day at the Kibo Hill Nursery School, as I head home on Sunday. I had a great time with the kids and teachers, learned some fun new songs, and though it was a sad goodbye, I know I'll be back soon. This is the last blog post that I will write for this trip, but keep checking in to the blog for updates about the progress of the African Community Exchange, our future volunteers, and the bread-making! You can also follow us on Twitter at ACE_Tanzania or on Facebook.

Thanks so much for reading about my trip! Asante sana.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful updates! And I'm honored that I'm on your brain there;)

    Love you--BK

    ReplyDelete