About     Get Involved

Thursday, June 13, 2013

TanzaNina returns!

Program Manager,  Nina Czitrom, writes about her upcoming trip.

Tomorrow afternoon, I will head back to Tanzania again. It's hard to believe that this will be my fourth trip there. I'm looking forward to seeing my friends, my colleagues, and returning to work with Mama Eva at the Kibo Hill Nursery School.

Mama Eva,
the head teacher at Kibo Hill Nursery School
My relationship with Tanzania began in 2007, when I first traveled there through an American volunteer organization. I made some lifelong friendships while I was there, with other volunteers and with the Tanzanian staff members. One of them was my friend, Peter. Peter loved working with volunteers, and felt that Tanzanians should be just as much part of the community service effort in Tanzania as international volunteers. He turned his vision into the African Community Exchange, an international volunteer organization, run by Tanzanians and for Tanzanians. At first, Peter reached out to me to help him with some of the English on his website. I soon went to experience the program for myself, and was blown away by the meaningful experiences he was able to provide for both the local rural community of Himo (pronounced HEE-mo), and for the volunteers.
Libby Parker (2010 volunteer) learned about the
unique issues of women in Tanzania by working alongside
them, making sandals, and exchanging stories.


The Home Base, where we live












Peter and the African Community Exchange asked me if I would be their U.S. representative in 2010. I have been working with them ever since to help attract volunteers, prepare volunteers before they travel, and continue my own relationships with the schools and teachers I work with in Tanzania.
Mama Eva and I often discuss what we'd like to learn from one another.
She often asks me to do art with her students, because she
 hasn't had much experience with art in education.
Mama Eva often does the art projects right alongside the children.



I'm looking forward to seeing my friends, Peter, Deo, Richard, Happy, Mama Love, and Mama Eva. I'm also looking forward to seeing old students and meeting new ones. Mama Eva and I have communicated about the activities she would like me to share this time, and I can't wait to learn new songs and games that she teaches the children. I'm looking forward to rekindling my attempts at Swahili (which I'm not too shabby at, if I do say so myself). And I'm looking forward to ushering in our two newest volunteers, Emma and Jillian. One of my favorite parts of the work I do with the African Community Exchange is sharing what I've learned about Tanzanian culture with other volunteers who are experiencing it all for the first time.
On safari with good friends


Asante sana (pronounced uh-SAN-tay SA-na, and meaning 'thank you') for reading. I'll be posting every few days once I'm there, so come along for the ride!







-TanzaNina

No comments:

Post a Comment